When do we know if we respecting or disrespecting someone?

In the indian culture uncle and auntie is commonly used to address the elderly or just anyone who is respected in some way. This is also known in the the African culture. We as the Zulu clan call our elders Mother, Dad, aunt and uncle even if you not related. We grew up being to told this is the way of respect. As I am in the outside world now I am learning that some people where brought up in a very different way. Couple of example that have been corrected to me. An elderly man told me never to call a stranger my uncle as an uncle has to be your someone who is a brother of your mother/father. This made me wonder even more. Today my project manager asked why I address some lady at work as Sisi. I said I wanna show some form of respect. That when she told me that in a professional manner I am looking at myself as someone who lower than that person I work with, coz in the work place we are all equal. I have never used the uncle word to address someone who is not family, hell even some of my uncle I don't call them uncle as I feel that they are distant cuzinz. Another form of respect that I was told from an early age was never look at the eyes of an elder when they talking to you. It shows disrespect, For some people they get offended if you don't look in their eyes. so my question is.

"How do we know that we respecting or we not disrespecting?

Please share your views and stories.

Comments